Wednesday, January 11, 2006

book's a company

now that i don't have a sex life (which i have yet to decipher whether it's a blessing, a curse or simply my destiny) and my son practically on his own i have more time for reading than ever before. i acquired several books the past yule season, all of which are gifts from friends and from myself.

1. The Third Reich - Michael Burleigh
2. Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
3. Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend - Robert James Waller
4. The Bridges of Madison County - ditto
5. Which Lie did I Tell? - William Goldman
6. Gulliver's Travel (unabridged) - Jonathan Swift
7. What Men Think About Sex - Mark Mason
8. Kokoro - Sosemi Natsume
9. Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

if i have to be consistent with my reading average of three books a month, i'll have a supply that would last me three months. but "The Bridges..." should be out of the wait list because i read it only recently. i just have this penchant for buying books that i've already read but would want to see in my bookshelves.

but i shouldn't worry about shortage for the succeeding months as i still have a good number of titles that are yearning for my attention, some of those have actually gathered dust because they remained untouched for months, years even. depending on my mood and interest they'd be permitted to jump queue before the bookworms get them.

waiting in line:

1. The Last Temptation of Christ - by an author whose last name sounds like Kazakhstan. acquired it december 2004 and started reading it straight away but had to stall in favor of the other books that i expected to be sequestered. and were actually sequestered.
2. Reading Between the Lies - a gift from kakai two christmases ago. or was it my birthday?
3. Son of the Circus - John Irving
4. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet. i've read it 11 years ago but want to read it again.
5. Life in Palestine in the Time of Christ - forgot the author. my xmas gift to myself three years ago. I realized i need to keep a bible handy when reading it which i was able to finally buy july last year.
6. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix - by you know who. i can wait till i see the trailer of the next potter movie or read it as soon as possible because i'm not sure how much longer i can keep the book in my possession. it was one of the books i expected would be taken out of my shelf but by an act of omission or commission i found it right where i left it...
7. Aristocrats of the Malay Race - by a Filipno author. not for entertainment
8. Cuckold - by an Indian author. bought this in india in 2002 as a present for kakai's father who took care of my kid while i was away. i didn't know what cuckold meant. i learned about its meaning last year, incidentally and ironically from romel. it was funny then, and it's funnier now that i'm thinking about it. i was dumbstruck when romel explained what the word denotes. that explained why my first ex didn't bring the book with him when he went back to his house. it was a puzzle to me, because he brought the other books i gave him.
9. Highwire Moon - Susan Straight
10. The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo


etcetera..etcetera.

currently reading: wild swans three daughters of china by jung chang

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home